Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Bye Bye Slime Man

Don Imus

MSNBC drops Imus. CBS Radio and WFAN still on the fence. (Steve Capus, NBC News President, on Hardball tonight says, C. Vivian Stringer's speech at the press conference yesterday really affected everyone. Viv! Rutgers women's basketball!)

I hope every stupid white man who went on TV in the past week and defended Imus now thinks long and hard. Why are so many of the rest of us so offended? Why were they so quick to let Imus off the hook? How could they let years of racist, sexist, crude and cruel jokes go by? I hope they look into their hearts and really think about that. Tom Oliphant, Howard Fineman, Jonathan Alter, Craig Crawford, David Gregory, James Carville, Paul Begala. (Look at that group. What do they have in common? Hmmm.)

At heart, I am an idealist.

NYTimes: NBC News Drops Imus Show Over Racial Remark

NBC News dropped Don Imus yesterday, canceling his talk show on its MSNBC cable news channel a week after Mr. Imus made a racially disparaging remark about the Rutgers University women’s basketball team.

WaPo: MSNBC Drops Imus's Morning Program

Mewark Star-Ledger: MSNBC says it will drop Imus show

This may have had as much to do with the decision as anything:

Reuters: Don Imus show loses more advertisers

NEW YORK (Reuters) - General Motors and drug maker GlaxoSmithKline pulled their advertising from shows hosted by Don Imus on Wednesday, striking a blow to the shock-jock and broadcasters who carry him.

American Express and Home loans Web site Ditech.com also said they would withdraw their ads.

They joined companies including household products maker Procter & Gamble Co. and office supplies retailer Staples Inc. in pulling their support amid an outcry over an on-air racial slur by Imus about the Rutgers University women's basketball team.

2 comments:

True Blue Liberal said...

Thanks from a loyal (and very very proud) son of Rutgers for helping to spread the word on this outrage.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Colmes. I am a registered Independant who always votes for Democrats.I am writing to you requesting that you read my petition that is posted on"petitionspot com under CBSHIPOCRISY. Could you please review this petition and hopefully sign it.I would appreciate your feedback about this petition. I am actually pushing for freedom of speech as well as the Hipocrisy that has been so obvious.
At this time I would really like to commend you on your handling of that biggot black panther! You had us all laughing when you guys shut him down and put him in his place.You had him admit that he was a student of Al Sharpton.
I talked to Al Sharpton on the radio the day he had Imus on, the african american girl called him and the president of the nat.assoc. of black journalist Hipocrits. I followed up with the same. He got smoked on his own show it was funny.It is obvious that Al Sharpton is an opportunistical racist.
One more thing; please recommend that Hillary return that 800,000 or give it to fund my petition of CBS radio. I was leaning towards Obama but I now feel that he is an oportunist.He is a motivational speaker but I see through him. And I will not lie with a middle name of Hussein and the fact that he went to school in India I am skeptical of him as being a plant. And the fact that he says he would of voted against the war when he wasn't in position to vote is suspect.
I didn't think anyone voted for the war. I thought they voted to give the president the right to bring our nation into war without a vote from Congress if our country was faced with an Immanent danger??????
I have to say I am dissapointed in Hillary for not running with John Kerry the last time. They would of walked into the White House even with the Republicans commiting voter fraud as we seen happen with the diabold lawsuit and HBO show. Did you see that?
Further on the Hillary matter, if she was John Kerry's running mate they would of been able to appoint all these Supreme court justices. I believe that that is the main reason that evryone is so shaky to vote for her, they feel that she is an oportunist. Then there is Edwards, I like him but I think he is too short to be President. I think this fact hurts his chances . Where is Al Gore????Why can't he run??? Kasynich is looking as the choice for voters out here!
Well I hope that you answer this email and PLease check out my petition.
Respectfully, Kevin Lynch from boston