Tuesday, October 11, 2005

This Made Me Laugh

Perplexed by This Pick

I have nothing against Miers, though I probably will once she dons those black robes and starts voting on cases I care about. Over the years, the president has had more than enough time to peer deeply into her heart, or her soul, or wherever it is he looks to discern what the person under scrutiny thinks about Roe v. Wade . I'm betting that she's no David Souter -- that she quickly signs up with the Scalia-Thomas fringe, even if she lacks Antonin Scalia's right-wing erudition or Clarence Thomas's persecution complex. They'll be like a middle-aged Mod Squad, a trio of groovy avengers fighting for truth, justice and the American Way circa 1805.

Julie (Harriet), Link (Clarence), and Pete (Antonin). I can just see it. Wasn't Clarence still 3/5 of a person in 1805? Harriet didn't exist, constitutionally speaking.

I can't decide where to come down on Harriet. Obviously, she's in Bush's hip pocket. But she's at least taken a few positions in her life that I would agree with (favoring gay rights, etc.). If we defeat her, will we get an even more right-wing wingnut, a la Clarence Thomas, with a better resume, that the Republican majority (55-45) in the Senate will vote in no matter how horrible the record or hateful the beliefs?

Let's hope we get some frogmarching news in the next few days to take our minds off this conundrum. I fear there are no good answers.

No comments: