Monday, January 09, 2006

An Old Stomping Ground

Man, woman are fatally shot in Allston
2d male wounded; city's first homicides of 2006 stun neighborhood


Yesterday's shootings took place in a second-floor apartment at 244 Kelton St. in Allston, a neighborhood filled with red-brick apartments populated mostly by graduate students and young professionals.

I gasped when I saw this story on the news this morning, because I lived in one of these red brick buildings in 1979 for a summer. It's been so long that I can't remember the address, but I don't think it was 244. It might have been one of the buildings on either side, though.

It was my first apartment after college. My two college roomates & I sublet the apartment from a woman who attended Pine Manor College. She'd gone home to Grosse Pointe, Michigan for the summer, leaving us the Grosse Pointe, Michigan Garden Club book in a kitchen cupboard listing her mother as a board member. Also hideous primary color Marimekko prints on the walls and vinyl couches that were awful to sit on that hot, humid summer. I had a crappy job in Cambridge and took the old, creaky Green Line every day, crammed in and sweating in subway cars with broken air conditioning as they broke down between stations. It was a dodgy neighborhood, & I tried not to be walking alone at night. We did spend a few happy evenings at The Phoenix, the late lamented restaurant/bar at the corner of Kelton and Comm. Ave. which had great Tex-Mex food.

The neighborhood is described as "normally placid" in today's Globe article. I haven't been there except to drive through for the past decade, but it doesn't look that different today than it did 25 years ago. This incident is listed on the City of Boston website:

Violent crimes in Allston/Brighton: November

Thu, 11/24/05 4:01:00 AM
244 KELTON ST (Allston)
A&B HANDS, FEET, ETC.- MED. ATTENTION REQ.

No comments: