Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Blog Round-Up January 10, 2006

Roger Ailes (the good one) says that Jack's friends don't know Jack anymore: Toward Amnesia

Steve Gilliard at the News Blog compares today's Army lowering its standards for recruiting to McNamara's "Project 100,000" for Vietnam (which I had never heard of): Time travel back to 1970

Digby says Alito is a Freeper (and an asshole, or is that redundant?): Freeping The Court

By contrast, I just had a chance to see Alito's opening statement and I have to say that I think he came off as an asshole:

And after I graduated from high school, I went a full 12 miles down the road, but really to a different world when I entered Princeton University. A generation earlier, I think that somebody from my background probably would not have felt fully comfortable at a college like Princeton. But, by the time I graduated from high school, things had changed.

And this was a time of great intellectual excitement for me. Both college and law school opened up new worlds of ideas. But this was back in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

It was a time of turmoil at colleges and universities. And I saw some very smart people and very privileged people behaving irresponsibly. And I couldn't help making a contrast between some of the worst of what I saw on the campus and the good sense and the decency of the people back in my own community.

This is the same guy who wanted to keep women out of Princeton. Presumably, they wouldn't have "felt comfortable" there. But that's not what made that statement so revealing. It's this notion of smart and privileged people "behaving irresponsibly."

I think it's fairly certain that he's not talking about branding frat boys' asses or getting drunk and stealing Christmas Trees. He's talking about anti-war protestors, feminists etc. And like so many campus conservatives of that era, he sounds like he's still carrying around a boatload of resentment toward them.

John Yoo, Bush's facilitator of illegal spying, answers questions on Edicts of Nancy: Ask John Yoo!

No comments: