Thursday, January 03, 2008

I'm a Criminal



Sez the RIAA, the Recording Industry Association of America, because: I put my CDs on my IPod. Ooh, bad girl. The Washington Post reported this week that the RIAA is making this absurd claim in a lawsuit against a consumer in Arizona.

However, I don't think I am a criminal, because at the time I put my CDs on my IPod, the RIAA had an entirely different view of the matter, and I was relying on it. That's called estoppel, baby. Put that in your corporate pipe and smoke it.

"If you choose to take your own CDs and make copies for yourself on your computer or portable music player, that's great. It's your music and we want you to enjoy it at home, at work, in the car and on the jogging trail."

The quote is from the RIAA website. It has since been removed, according to BoingBoing which decries this revisionism. Also, arguing before the United States Supreme Court in 2005, the RIAA attorney said this:

"The record companies, my clients, have said, for some time now, and it's been on their website for some time now, that it's perfectly lawful to take a CD that you've purchased, upload it onto your computer, put it onto your IPod."
Hat tip to BoingBoing which is invaluable on issues of overreaching copyright and privacy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Truth, my understanding of the situation was that the user had saved his files to a shared drive- if it was a personal drive to which nobody else had access, it would not have been an issue.