Thursday, September 21, 2006

There IS Such a Thing As Bad Publicity



And Senator George Felix Allen has ably proved that in the last week.

After he freaked out about being asked by his Jewish heritage in a debate, he's lurched from awkward moment to awkward moment. Or did every recent person who discovered Jewish ancestry start talking about pork?

Today's news is that the Allen family now claim that Allen only learned of his Jewish heritage last month, although he has known for decades that his grandfather had been imprisoned by the Nazis during WWII. And that his mother swore him to secrecy, which I guess would explain why he said this week: "My mother's French-Italian with a little Spanish blood in her. And I was raised as she was, as far as I know, raised as a Christian."

Convenient, his mother swearing him to secrecy. I'm just saying.


ThinkProgress: Allen continues effort to downplay his Jewish heritage.


“I still had a ham sandwich for lunch. And my mother made great pork chops,”
Sen. George Allen (R-VA) said yesterday, explaining how news that his grandfather was Jewish is “just an interesting nuance to my background.”
ABC News: Allen Campaign Hits Another Awkward Moment
This Time It's a Question About His Jewish Ancestry That Roils His Virginia Senate Race


WaPo today: Allen's Mother Revealed Jewish Heritage to Him Last Month

My favorite blog headline on the matter is from Majikthise: George Allen, self-hating Jew

No comments: