Thursday, June 30, 2005

Venus is Back!

Venus ends Sharapova's reign to reach final

One of the best women's matches I've seen in a long time. Both players playing from the baseline, but with huge aggressive strokes. Shriek! Shriek! Shriek! from both of them. Venus completely disguised her poor second serve with a high percentage of first serves. She hit so many winners that Sharapova was knocked completely off her game.

Nice to see Venus focused on her tennis. She is still a great talent. During the match, the commentators talked about her sister being killed two years ago and it made me think, how would I have reacted if one of my siblings had been killed when I was in my 20s? I'd have been devastated. So I'll stop complaining about the Williams sisters spending too much time on non-tennis-related pursuits. I just hope they do what Venus did today & come back to championship level tennis. We miss them.

No comments: