Sunday, August 22, 2004

News From the Heartland

Spent the week visiting my Mom & went to the Delaware County, New York Fair for a few days. Delaware County is a rural upstate county in the Catskills. Only one Republican member of Congress in my lifetime, & he was a post-Watergate member of the class of '74. Right now much of the district is represented by Republican Sherwood Boehlert, who is acting chair of the House Intelligence Committee while Porter dumb-Goss is nominated to be CIA head.

My Mom worked the Democratic Party booth for two hours on a hot Wednesday afternoon, and reported 5 people came to booth who said they had voted for Bush in 2000 but would vote for Kerry this time.

Later we met up with my cousin who is an attorney in Delaware County. He is a lifelong Republican. He said to me, "This race isn't as close as the polls say it is. I can't tell you how many people I've met who are fed up with Bush. Republicans who just won't vote for the guy. This thing with the Reserves and extending their tours has really hit hard around here."

No comments: